Parts master | Bills of material | Process routes | Product costing & pricing | Quality assurance | Engineering data & controls | Marketing | Customers & suppliers | Customer parts | Purchase parts | Sales orders | Jobs & estimating | Sales document configurator | Purchase orders | Work orders & shopfloor | Inventory | Serial numbering & tracking | Batch traceability | Workflow automation | External document linking
Other Pages of Interest
As with all industry specialisations, terminology is very specific. Whilst most terms are universal in their meaning, many can have a different meaning to different people, especially amongst Management Consultants and Accountants. Within these documents Caliach reserves the right to put its own definition on terms. For the avoidance of any doubt, you should test and explore the operation of the Caliach Vision ERP itself, using our demonstration software, to establish whether your definition of a term matches ours.
Try our Demo ERP Software and Tutorial
Caliach Vision Features: Caliach Vision - Glossary
- 4GL - Fourth Generation Language: A computer software engineering tool that enables rapid development of programs, such as transaction-based information systems.
- ABC - ABC Classification: A method of rating the importance of particular parts in the overall manufacturing process. Typically uses the 80-20 rule, that 20% of parts represent 80% of importance.
- BoM - Bill of Materials: the shorthand term for the list of components that make up an assembly.
- ERP - Enterprise Resource Planning: A development of MRPII that extends functionality and attempts to provide a framework for all business activity.
- FIFO - First In First Out: A costing standard that values current inventory on the basis that the first receipts coming into stock are consumed before later receipts.
- FTP - File Transfer Protocol: A standard protocol for moving files from one computer to another over the Internet.
- HTML - Hypertext Markup Language: The file format that an Internet world wide web browser recognises.
- LIFO - Last In First Out: A costing standard that values current inventory on the basis that the latest receipts coming into stock are consumed before earlier receipts.
- MPS - Master Production Schedule: The full list of demand on the production process - this forms the basis of demand for MRP.
- MRP - Material Requirement Planning: The computer process of matching supply with demand. It forecasts all inventory movements and makes recommendations for material re-supply and production.
- MRPII - Manufacturing Resource Planning: A description of a class of computer software system that enables closed-loop management principles to apply in manufacturing businesses. It incorporates integrated functionality for most aspects of the business.
- ODBC - Open Database Connectivity: A Microsoft system standard that enables a program to access live data from a database.
- PDF - Portable Document Format: Adobe's standard file format for universal document standard which enables cross-platform high quality presentation. Such files need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.
- RTF - Rich Text Format: A basic file format for text that includes font and formatting information universally acceptable to word processors.
- VAT - Value Added Tax: A sales tax system used throughout the world excluding the US where tax is charged on sales and paid on purchases and the difference between the two over a period is paid to the revenue authority. Sometimes known as GST.
- WIP - Work In Progress: The issued material to production and part completed production.